Sunday 6 October 2013

SS Faltering Footsteps-Boojh - Part 3 ( by Jenna )




Arnav's mother was seething. All she could see was a haze of red in front of her eyes. How dare that girl tell Arnav everything? How dare she? She had become braver and she had to put an end to that soon. But before she could start thinking of how to get back into Arnav's good books a loud yell bought her out of her reverie.


Racing to the main room to try and locate the source of the scream Arnav's mother's feet almost gave way as she saw her young daughter collapsed on the floor howling with the tears falling. She saw Khushi on the floor with her comforting her whilst Arnav stood seething beside them.


What happened Anjali why are you crying?'


Mama that was Rohit's family. They said that they are calling the wedding off'


But why is Rohit cancelling it when he himself proposed to you?'


Mama Rohit's mum had come over last weekend and asked me to go out with her. No one was home and I thought that you would have agreed so I went along with her. She took me to the hospital and told me that they just wanted to do a normal check up on me because it was his father's wish. She had also told me that every other daughter in law in their family had done this too so I should not feel scared. So I agreed. But she just called me now and said that they had done a fertility test on me to see how fertile I was. The test results showed that I have a low ovarian count meaning that the chances of me ever becoming a mother are very low if nothing nil. So now she is saying because of that she does not want her son to marry me. Mama, do something please? I love Rohit I don't think I can exist without him. Please Mama?'


Arnav's mother was seething once more.


How dare that woman, conduct a fertility test on my daughter?! Who does she think she is? Get me the phone I will call her and give her a piece of my mind right now!'


Mama with what right are you going to call them? You also did the same thing to Khushi and when you found that she was not having a boy you killed our baby. Never did you think that she too was someone's daughter. When it's your daughter then it's a problem but when it's someone else's then it is fine? What kind of rule is that?'


I don't care to listen to this right now Arnav. My daughter is laying there because her heart is broken I need to fix this, so just shut up!' Said his mother making a move to grab the phone from Anjali, who, still had it cradled in her lap.


Once she had the phone she proceeded to dial the number for Rohit's house only to have the phone yanked out of her grip. She watched as Arnav harshly took the phone and smashed it to the floor.


Oh so it's okay for you to fix one daughter's problem, but you could not feel the pain of another daughter you had? Though she has the phrase in law attached to it she is still a daughter to you! You didn't seem to think twice when you got that daughter's baby killed! Its women like you that deserve to stay childless!'


To hell with you right now Arnav can't you see your sister is upset right now?! Instead of giving me this lecture why don't you try to fix this?'


Mama I can't fix. You know why? Because Anjali is paying the price for what you did!'


Arnav was about to say something more when a light touch on his shoulder made him stop.


I know that you are upset right now but we need to fix this. Our little sister needs us'


Khushi help Anjali and pack her bags alongside ours. I can't stay here a second longer. I can't say in the presence of a woman that differentiates between daughters and daughter in laws. And don't you dare try to argue with me or try to convince my mind. Just do as I say Khushi. I can't stay in a house with a woman that does not respect my wife.


And turning to his mother he said You know today for the first time in my life I am feeling regret that of all the women in the world it was you who bore me and gave me life'


And having said that Arnav left the room leaving his shell shocked mother rooted to the spot...  

No comments:

Post a Comment